August 19th is Paralela Univera Tago or “Parallel Universe Day” in Esperanto-land. It is a day when Esperantists gather locally all over the world, invite friends, and enjoy the “parallel Universe” that we are helping to create here on Planet Earth by means of the global person-to-person friendship and democratic cooperation language Esperanto.
We are thus inviting ALL Oregon and Portland Esperantists and any friends of Esperanto to a BBQ and potluck, with an emphasis on vegan and vegetarian choices. Come meet your fellow Earth Communitarians, and share some good food and company!
Raleigh Park and Swim Center, 3500 SW 78th Avenue, Portland, OR 97225, phone 503-297-6888.
The event will start at 5:30 PM, and will run for a couple of hours. (Swimming pool closes at 4:30.)
Please RSVP using any of these options:
· Contact John Dale at 503-380-0887 or Esperanto_Oregono@yahoo.com, or
· Our Facebook group “Portland Friends of the New Esperanto,” or
· Our Meetup.com group “Portland Friends of the New Esperanto,” or
· Our Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Esperanto-Oregono.
- Esperanto, which many Americans still think has “died out,” has now, on the contrary, soared to being among the top 30 languages of Wikipedia! Its 2 to 3 million users worldwide, many of them young adults, now put Esperanto among the top 300 to 400 most numerously spoken languages on Earth (out of a total of over 7100 languages).
- Esperanto holds the key to introducing yourself and your children to a global cultural “space” of building community and universal respect, of peaceful consultation, of global standards of justice and human rights, and of progressive nonviolent action for comprehensive democracy and a sustainable ecological future.
- The Esperanto community needs and seeks your participation and your active service in the great 21st century causes of justice and Earth/human balance that will determine the future.
- Top learning sites for Esperanto include Duolingo.com, Lernu.net, Edukado.net, and UEA.org. Check out hundreds of items on YouTube and other social media.